The Baking Owl

A blog written by an aspiring 14 year old baker…..

My Las Vegas Adventure {A Taste Of My Life}

1 Comment


I know, I know. It’s been a while. But I have a perfectly good explanation for that- I was in Vegas!

For 4th of July weekend, my mom and I flew to Las Vegas, Nevada for a convention celebrating my mom’s side of the family’s Assamese heritage. If you didn’t know, Assam is a small but beautiful state in Eastern part of India and every year, the biggest Assamese gathering of expatriate Assamese is held somewhere in the US. This year, it was held at the Luxor hotel in Las Vegas.

One of the reasons my mom and I had gone this year was because we were supposed to take part in a fashion show. Yup, I had no idea what I was getting into. If you know me personally, then you know there was no way I would ever be caught alive in a fashion show. This was way out of my comfort zone.

Anyways, my mom and I left Thursday morning for Nevada. My brother wasn’t very happy with our mom leaving. Although he wasn’t very sad about having our room all to himself. 😉

IMG_1738 IMG_1737 IMG_1739 IMG_1742 IMG_1743

The last time I had been to Las vegas was when I was a baby, so I remembered exactly nothing about Vegas.

When we arrived, I immediately started to see casinos everywhere (even at the airport) and as soon as I stepped outside I immediately felt the intensely dry 110 degree heat on my face. Needless to say,  I didn’t step outside even once for the next three days I was there.


Outside of the airport, we found a bus that took us to the Luxor hotel (the hotel where the convention would be held, and where we would be staying at).


On our way to the hotel, I saw several themed based hotels dotting the Las Vegas skyline. I’m sure it would have looked even more amazing at night (unfortunately I didn’t get to see any of that as I never once stepped outside).

As we reached our pyramid-shaped hotel, my mom and I went straight to our hotel room.

LV9 LV10

FullSizeRender 323 FullSizeRender 322 FullSizeRender 321 IMG_1750

After setting our bags down, we went to my cousin, Diya’s, hotel room to say hi to some of our other relatives that were hanging out there.

My mom and I then got ready for a party that my mom’s cousin was holding in another hotel room that we called the “hospitality suite”.

IMG_1753 LV

IMG_1755 IMG_1754

Basically it was a room where my cousins and I could go to any time we wanted free food. It was pretty awesome :). Diya’s dad was also sponsoring his tea company- Tea India (which is amazing btw) so through out the trip, we had A LOT of authentic Indian tea.

FullSizeRender 326

Speaking of cousins and relatives, I met a lot of them. I met cousins, aunts, uncles, great aunts, half of whom I had never met before. I did however know 2 of my cousins, Diya and Nikhil.


Also, apparently there were 200 people at the party. How 200 people fit in a suite, I still don’t know. We found it a bit cramped so Diya, Nikhil, and I went up to Diya’s room to hang out. Because of this convention, many people at the hotel were from Assam so it was pretty cool bumping into people we didn’t even know and having conversations with them in our native language- Assamese.

You probably don’t know this, but I really love card games and I just so happened to bring a deck of cards with me, so my cousins and I played a few games of cards in Diya’s room (which was pretty much what we did for the rest of the trip- also another reason why I didn’t go outside ;))


It was the middle of the night when we realized that we hadn’t had anything to eat, so we decided to venture out into the hotel’s food court for some food. All of our parents were out somewhere and had left us some money for dinner.

FullSizeRender 321 IMG_1757 FullSizeRender 323 IMG_1758 IMG_1760 FullSizeRender 324

Once we got our pizza and hot chocolate, we went back up to Diya’s room to play about another 10 games before we were all too tired to make out the numbers on our cards and we went back to our rooms for sleep.

IMG_1761 IMG_1762 IMG_1756

The next day, Diya, our moms, and I (along with the other models) had to wake up early to rehearse for the fashion show. We had a yummy breakfast of muffins, croissants, and tea while watching a tennis match (we’re all super big tennis fans)…

IMG_1765 IMG_1766 IMG_1769

We then had to go to the big room where the convention was being held to practice our “walk” for the show which was really difficult especially for Diya and I, who weren’t very comfortable with all of this.

IMG_1771 IMG_1773 IMG_1774 IMG_1772

I also had to wear extra high heels because of how short I am :(. It wasn’t the most fun considering we had to practice for hours (in heels too!!), and finally getting food felt soo good. 🙂

FullSizeRender 320 IMG_1777

After that, it was time for the convention’s inauguration where Diya’s dad spoke in front of everyone.

FullSizeRender 325 FullSizeRender 324 FullSizeRender 320 IMG_1775

Diya, her mom, and I during the inauguration.


After that was done, Diya, Nikhil, and I went to the hospitality suite (you know, the free food room ;)) to stock up on food…

IMG_1779 FullSizeRender 322

…and then we headed back to Diya’s hotel room to start another very exciting game of Egyptian Slap. Unfortunately, Diya and I had to go and get ready for the fashion show which we were both dreading and also excited for at the same time. We went down to this little room that was connected to the convention room where all the models got ready. My mom and Diya’s mom were also modeling so we all got our makeup done and then headed up to our designer’s room where all of the clothing was.

FullSizeRender 321 FullSizeRender 324 IMG_1781

Did I mention how big the hotel was? WELL IT WAS BIG. I got so much cardio exercise that trip. I’m getting tired just thinking about it.

Anyways, after we got ready we went back down to the makeup room (again) to get some finishing touches done. It was all really stressful and when it was my turn to get up on stage, my heart was beating so fast that I didn’t even realize I was done with my part until after.

This is our designer’s group of models. Can you guess which one is me? I definitely can’t.

IMG_1800 IMG_1797 IMG_1801 IMG_1798

Here are some of the other designers’ models.

FullSizeRender 325 FullSizeRender 327 FullSizeRender 328 FullSizeRender 322

Because this was such a big event, we actually had reporters come and interview the designers and some of the models, as well as the other parts of the convention.

FullSizeRender 326 FullSizeRender 323

Also the same day, my mom’s sister and her family came. My aunt has two sons, my cousins Arjun and his little brother, Dev. Both of them were added to my small list of cousins that I actually knew.

As the parents were still at the convention and would be for a very long time, Arjun, Dev, Nikhil, Diya, and I went to the food court to get a whole bunch of chicken tenders, french fries, and ketchup. We ate all of it in Diya’s room (at this point, her room had become our unofficial meet up place) while bringing Arjun and Dev into our card games that we seemed to be so obsessed with.


It was near midnight when we were starting to get really bored, so after we put Dev to sleep, we asked Diya’s grandmother (who was staying in the room next to us) if we could go wander around. Being the awesome and most cool great-aunt, she said yes.

This started our wandering adventure. The four of us went down to the first floor and we decided to explore not only our hotel, but the hotel next to it. That hotel happened to be Excalibur which was a castle themed hotel. Both of these hotels were connected so we could go from hotel to hotel without going outside.

We had to cross a bunch of moving walkways to get to Excalibur and for fun, when there was an empty walkway going the opposite direction, we would run across it as fast as we could ;).


We wandered around everywhere and came across this:


We were curious to what it was, but it was closed so we decided to find out what it was the next day.

Day three was the 4th of July so of course I had to put on this very festive top.

FullSizeRender 327 FullSizeRender 342

We didn’t have much planned that day, but my mom and I did start off the day with some tea at this tea table set up…


…and then we went for brunch at this really cool restaurant over at the hotel, Mandalay Bay. We had brunch with Nikhil and Arjun’s families. There was SO much food and it was all so good. Especially the dessert…..;)

IMG_1803 FullSizeRender 333 FullSizeRender 322 FullSizeRender 324 FullSizeRender 339 FullSizeRender 334 FullSizeRender 337

Our beautiful view =)

FullSizeRender 335

Here’s us in the elevator 😉


After that, Dev, Arjun, Nikhil, Nikhil’s dad, Diya, Diya’s older brother Damin (who had arrived the night before), and I went to the Bodies Exhibit that was in the Luxor hotel (I’m telling you, the hotel keeps getting bigger and bigger). We couldn’t take pictures of the exhibit, but let me just tell you that it was AMAZING.

FullSizeRender 332

To make up for the pictures we couldn’t take, here are pictures of the 4th of July matching flag socks that the five of us bought. 🙂

FullSizeRender 340 IMG_0471

Then Diya, Nikhil, Arjun, and I went back towards the “Fun Dungeon” we had found the night before at Ecalibur. We found out that it was some kind of arcade where kids spend all of their parents’ money on games just to win cheap plastic toys that break after 10 minutes. Guess what we did? Exactly that! Except we didn’t win any cheap plastic toys. I’ll get to that later.

LV6 FullSizeRender 346

Anyways, after going to each one of our parents in need of money, we headed back to the Fun Dungeon. On our way there, we got a bit side tracked and stopped at Cinnabon and Starbucks for some food and drinks to hype us up for the next four or so hours.

FullSizeRender 345 IMG_1786 2 IMG_1787 2

Once we got to the arcade, we went crazy as if were nine year olds.

FullSizeRender 339 FullSizeRender 341

After hours of playing games that were only won from luck, we finally had gathered a grand total of 1534 tickets.

FullSizeRender 337

Can you guess what we spend 1300 tickets on? A giant inflatable monkey! Obviously.

Meet Marvin everyone.


Remember when I said we didn’t win any cheap plastic toys? Well I lied. We spent the last few tickets on matching plastic rings and My Little Pony tattoos. I swear we’re more mature than we look.

After our arcade binge, we left the Fun Dungeon with Marvin on our shoulders and plastic rings on our fingers. The looks we got from people were hilarious. We ran into my mom on the way back to Diya’s room who was very surprised to see Marvin and thankfully wasn’t mad that we had spent hours just to win an inflatable monkey. In fact, she couldn’t stop laughing.

That night most of the adults had reserved this big expensive dinner that did not include the children 😦 and my mom unfortunately didn’t reserve a seat for herself. Diya’s dad had decided to back out of the dinner and him, my mom, Diya, Nikhil, and I went to dinner together. (Arjun and Dev had gone out with his family some place else.)

We were kind of the dinner rejects since everyone else was at the big dinner, but that was okay cause our dinner was awesome.

FullSizeRender 340 FullSizeRender 343 FullSizeRender 342

It was at this really cool restaurant called The Boiler Room. We had an amazing dinner-

 IMG_1790 2 IMG_1792 2 IMG_1791 2 IMG_1788 2 IMG_1789 2

And, we even got to play a game of Egyptian Slap ;).

FullSizeRender 344

After we ate till we were stuffed, we went to the convention room where people were dancing to the Assamese music sang by some amazing singers.

IMG_1805 2 IMG_1802 FullSizeRender 335

Once we were tired of dancing, Nikhil, Diya, and I met up with Arjun in Diya’s room. We missed all of the 4th of July fireworks which was depressing and ironic considering that we were in Las Vegas. So that night we played a few card games and once it was really late, we all decided to stay up the whole night until we had to leave for home at five in the morning.

After some deep conversations, putting on My Little Pony tattoos, and hanging out with Marvin, we couldn’t take the sleepiness anymore, so at 3:30 in the morning we called it a night. After many goodbye hugs we all went to our rooms.

FullSizeRender 335 FullSizeRender 339 IMG_1793

My saddest goodbye was probably to Marvin as I couldn’t take him with me on my flight :(.


I didn’t get much sleep considering I had to wake up before five to catch my flight. I was extremely tired and could barely keep my eyes open as my mom and I rushed to a shuttle that would take us to the airport. After that, my mom and I got on a plane that would take us back to my state of California.

FullSizeRender 343 FullSizeRender 340 LV8

*Takes deep breath* And that was my super long post on my trip to Vegas!

This was a really memorable trip with many memorable moments, and I will probably have other adventures coming up, so stay tuned for more tastes of my life!

Thanks for reading! 😉


Author: TheNerdyOwl

Just a teenaged girl with a food blog and a passion for baking.

One thought on “My Las Vegas Adventure {A Taste Of My Life}

  1. Amazing! Just saw this and you summed up the whole trip perfectly 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s