Happy Halloween everyone! I don’t know about you, but Halloween is one of my most favorite holidays ever. Not just because of all the candy, but also because of the fun and festive desserts that I can make. I love making Halloween everything- cupcakes, rice krispy treats, cookies, and SO much more.
I’ll admit that I wanted to do so much more for Halloween this year, but unfortunately between school and family visiting, I didn’t have enough time to do that. But, I did manage to make these adorable sugar cookies!
I found some Halloween cookie cutters and decided to make these. In order to make these I used my tried and tested – go to sugar cookie recipe. I have the recipe in an older post, but I’ve written an updated recipe here :). I love this recipe because it’s only 5 ingredients and they’re also egg-less, so any vegetarians out there can eat them too! Not to mention that they are really amazing.
The cookie icing is unbelievably easy. All you need is powdered sugar and milk. Just whisk the two together and you have your icing. More powdered sugar = thicker icing while more milk = thinner icing. To dye my icing, I use my Americolor gel paste food coloring. For plain white icing, I added a bit of white food coloring so that the icing would be more opaque and less see through.
For the cookie dough, I rolled it out to a 1/4 of an inch so that I could get nice thick cookies. I cut out these pumpkins, ghosts, and circles for spider webs. I frosted the cookies with piping bags with the tiny corner snipped off. The consistency of my icing was quite thin and I used a toothpick to help me spread out the icing.
The spider web cookies looked really cool. To get that web effect, I frosted the entire cookie in icing and then piped rings of frosting with another color. I then dragged a toothpick from the center to the edge of the cookie.
I loved how these cookies turned out and I had so much fun making and decorating them! These are also great to make with family or little kids. Kids always enjoy decorating cookies :).
HAVE A SPOOKY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!
If you enjoy reading posts like this and would like to get updated whenever I post something new, please follow my blog by typing in your email in the “Follow The Baking Owl” box on the right ->->.
Thanks for reading! 😉
Eggless Sugar Cookies
(Also can I be anymore festive with all this orange font 😉 )
2 sticks of unsalted butter
1 cup of powdered (icing) sugar
2 cups of all purpose flour + more for rolling
1/2 tsp. of baking powder
pinch of salt
1 1/2 tsp. of pure vanilla extract
1. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
2. With an electric mixer, cream butter and powdered sugar until fluffy.
3. Mix in vanilla extract.
4. Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt into a separate bowl.
5. Little by little, beat in the flour mixture into the butter mixture until a soft dough forms. If the dough is too sticky, add a couple more tablespoons of flour.
6. Take out the dough and knead into a ball on a lightly floured surface. Cover in plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
7. Preheat the oven to 355 degrees F and take out dough. Flour your countertop and roll out your cookie dough to a 1/4 inch thickness. Try to work a bit quick because the dough will soften quite quickly. Cut out shapes and place shapes on your prepared cookie sheet. Place cookie sheet in the freezer for about 10 minutes. This helps the cookies not spread as much in the oven.
8. Place cookie sheet in the oven for about 12 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Let cool before decorating and enjoy!