Guess what?! Another fall recipe!
Today I made a crumb cake! Crumb cake is also sometimes known as coffee cake. There are multiple variations of this cake, but because we’re getting into the fall season, I went for a cinnamon crumb cake.
A crumb cake is basically a moist cake with a crumble on top and in the center of the cake. The crumble that I used is made with a mixture of two kinds of sugar, cold butter, pecans, and walnuts. You can’t go wrong with those ingredients. 😉
I attempted to make this a bit healthier by using mostly whole wheat flour, replacing half of the butter with oil, and using mostly brown sugar.
Most crumb cakes are baked in either a square/rectangle pan or a bundt cake pan. And although I adore bundt cakes, I decided to bake mine in an 8 inch square cake pan so that I could cut out individual square pieces.
This crumb cake is now one of my favorite desserts! It’s just so moist and that yummy cinnamon flavor with delicious buttery brown sugar crumble is absolutely delightful.
Pair this with a cup of coffee or tea or any hot beverage and you’ll never be happier.
I even made a picture tutorial on how to make this!
Here you go:
The first thing you need to do is preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8 inch square pan.
Then, combine your flours, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a medium sized bowl.
Next, beat the brown sugar, oil, and butter in a large bowl.
Into the large bowl, add the eggs one at a time.
Mix in the vanilla extract and milk.
Combine the flour mixture in two batches. Mix well after each batch.
Now you have to make your delicious cinnamon crumble! First, you need to chop up your nuts.
Then you have to stir your sugars, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
Cut in cold butter with a pastry blade or a fork.
Mix in the nuts and your crumble is finished.
Spread half of the batter into your greased pan.
Then, sprinkle half of the crumble on top.
After, spread the rest of the batter on top. Be careful and gentle, as the batter is quite thick and you don’t want to ruin your layers.
Smooth the batter with a spatula before sprinkling the rest of the crumble on top.
Bake for about 35 minutes and then let cool before cutting into individual pieces (or eat it warm straight out of the oven, that’s cool to).
If you enjoy reading posts like this and would like to get updated whenever I post something new, please follow my blog by typing in your email in the “Follow The Baking Owl” box on the right ->->.
Also, to watch tutorials on how to make many delicious treats, subscribe to my YouTube channel – TheBakingOwl!
Thanks for reading! 😉
Cinnamon Crumb Cake
1/2 cup of all purpose flour
1 cup of whole wheat flour
1 tsp. of baking powder
1/2 tsp. of salt
1 tsp. of cinnamon
1 cup of loosely picked light brown sugar
2 tbs. of butter
2 tbs. of oil
1 1/2 tsp. of pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup of milk
1/4 cup + 2 tbs. of white sugar
2 tbs. of brown sugar
2 tsp. of cinnamon
1 tbs. of whole wheat flour
3 tbs. of cold butter
1 cup of chopped pecans & walnuts
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 inch square pan with cooking spray or butter.
2. Whisk together both flours, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a medium sized bowl.
3. In a large bowl, beat brown sugar, butter, and oil until creamy.
4. Add eggs in one at a time, beating after each addition.
5. Stir in vanilla and milk.
6. Combine the flour mixture into the egg mixture in two batches.
7. For the crumble, coarsely chop your nuts and set aside. In a small bowl, mix sugars, cinnamon, and flour. Cut in cold butter with a pastry blade or a fork. Stir in chopped nuts.
8. Once the batter is finished, pour half the batter into the prepared cake pan. Smooth the batter out with a spatula and sprinkle half of the crumble evenly on top. Carefully pour and spread the rest of the batter. Sprinkle the rest of crumble on top and bake for 35 minutes.
9. Once baked and cooled, cut into squares and enjoy!
1. You can use all pecans, all walnuts, or any other kind of nut.